Video Playback Stuttering?

SOLUTION: Hit the pause-play gadget. Let the "gas gauge" fill partly. Hit the playback button again to resume. Better, download the MP4 video to your hard drive. Play it full-screen in your movie-player program.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Singing In The Rain - Water Under The Bridge



1991 at the Waterfront Bar.
I cast a schmaltzy spell over the audience, while they murmur about my identity. I had just cut off my long hippie hair!

Sweet video production by Reel `N Video, George and Penny Frazier. They now live in Licking Missouri, selling pine nuts from wildcraft, and promoting related environmental concerns. They appeared before the lens on FOX TV's Trading Spouses last year.

In the early 90's, not long before the date of this performance, I sat in the local food co-op's dining area, sharing thoughts on using the Homer cable access to make and share TV programs using my Amiga video computer. Brother Asaiah Bates told me emphatically, "Call it WKFL, brother," for wisdom, knowledge, faith and love.

I was barely aware that the letters had originally been associated with Krishna Venta, WKFL Fountain of the World cult, and the Barefooters who settled in Homer in the 1950's. WKFL as "station call letters" seemed charmingly anachronistic, yet edgy! The name also belongs to a Homer park dedicated to peace, on land donated to the city by Brother Asaiah. You can read about controversy sourounding that issue in the sample pages of Brother Asaiah at Amazon.com.

George and Penny contacted me when I had some recognition for Beef-- Having It Your Way. They contacted me again soon after, and presented me this edited Singing In The Rain Karoake performance. We touched bare feet, that peculiar intimacy seen on Penny-Meets-the-Zandi's on Trading Spouses.

Soon we were making a local cable access pilot. We combined my ideas, abilities and video computer with their complimenting VHS video equipment, skill sets, and brain children of their own. I lasted through the pilot episode, which presented an interview and the chant of a visiting monk from Tibet; a moderated panel on values, featuring a varied swatch of community representatives held at the Homer Family Theater; and Behind The Scenes of The Wearable Arts Show.

That was fifteen years ago. It no longer requires full-blown legal skills to broadcast, since this internet obsoletes local cable access channels. My Sanyo Xacti camera exceeds VHS. It's tapeless, fits in any pocket. My just-average PC runs my old graphics programs better and faster under Windows XP, using an Amiga emulation program. Many more locals are film-making.

I'm ready to do art again, after having mostly dropped it since WKFL TV, to grip a personal value system that includes art, while purging mystical notions. Art need not require sacrifice, just sensible risk. I'm less easily directed by those who know the secret of manipulating personal mysticisms in others. I'm older and I've gotten wiser, at least to some notions.

Thanks to nanotech, for the last nine years I've had better nutrition. I'm fit from maintaining my boycott on the motor industry, and I'm capturing and sharing the sights. The City of Homer is catching up to my stride, putting down more paths for walking and biking, encouraging personal fitness and the reduction of fossil fuel dependancy.

"I'll walk down the lane
with a happy refrain..."

1 comment:

Brad said...

From Maka, who helped me break-in the comments feature of HomerCafe.com. Thanks, Maka!
-Brad
*****************

Thank you Brad, for posting interesting information about the finer
makings of Homer, Alaska, on a blog spot. I met you when you lived
above Bunnell, just getting started on your projects, remember. Hmmm,
was that Shiela Arp that introduced us, right? Those were some strange
days, huh? Homers transformation days were more fun than they are
today.

Too bad we had to sit back and watch the money changers modernize our
colony to look just like the "Jonses Gateway" to never-never land. I'm
surrounded now with cardboard box houses that sell for a mint and
house
alien-type people that will probably move on after they get delinquent
on high house payments and destroy the neighborhood. Just looking
ahead
to Homer's bleaker side.

Who knows, we might have to become East Enders after all, like Bob
Folse soon. But until then, Maka and Mike here, on the farm, in the
middle of the new Forest Glen Day Breeze community of plastic. Keep
walking Brad. At least you've done your part for the planet. Maybe
others will take heed and follow your footsteps. Who knows. Miracles
do
happen. Thanks for remembering The Brother. He is still the heartbeat
of Homer. Maka